Best Bully Sticks says, “Pass The Cheese, Please!” with these yummy, sure-to-please cheese cookies for your dog. We like to call them Chock Full Of Cheese Cookies, and they really are just that. These treats have parmesan and cheddar cheese baked into a cookie. There’s even a cream cheese and peanut butter filling for the inside if that’s not enough!
Cheese is loaded with protein and calcium, both of which are great for your dog. However, cheese can also be very rich. We recommend giving these to a very active dog or limiting the intake of these treats. Also, if your dog has trouble processing dairy, you can substitute cheese ingredients with almond, soy or tofu cheese. Best Bully Sticks hopes your pooch enjoys these hearty snacks!
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Cheese & Peanut Butter Filling:
8 ounces of cream cheese, fat free
1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1. Preheat oven to 400° F
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the two eggs together.
4. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and applesauce.
5. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
6. Pour the applesauce mixture into the dry ingredients and stir, using a fork, until dough forms.
7. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
8. Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, pack the cheesy mixture into the scoop.
9. Place the scoops on the baking sheet close together, as they do not rise in the oven.
10. Flatten the rounded cookie and bake for 15 minutes.
11. Leave the dog treats in the oven, once it’s turned off, to cool.
1. In a microwave safe bowl, measure out the cream cheese and peanut butter.
2. Microwave the ingredients at 10 second intervals, and stir after each one, until the mixture comes together easily.
3. Use a butter knife to spread the filling or scoop the cheese mixture into a zip lock bag and seal. Cut off the tip and squeeze mixture out like a thick frosting.
Storing – This dog biscuit recipe will keep fresh in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freeze them for up to 6 months. The cheese and peanut butter dip is best made fresh and used within a week.
Yield: Recipe will make approximately 40 dog cookies.