Summer time means grilling time! When you fire up the grill for you and your family, don’t forget Fido! Best Bully Sticks knows these Bacon-Cheese-Barley Burgers are going to have your pup’s sniffer going crazy well before they’re ready to eat. Your dog will feel truly apart of the summer time festivities with this great, drool-worthy burger recipe!
1/2 cup pearl barley (If you don’t have barley, substitute 1-cup white or brown rice.)
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 slices lean bacon
1 large egg
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1. Over high heat, bring barley and chicken broth to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender (about 20 minutes.) Drain excess liquid and let cool in a medium bowl.
3. While the barley is cooking, cook the bacon over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet until bacon is crisp (about 4 minutes). Keep bacon fat for cooking the burgers.
4. Finely chop bacon and add to the cooled barley.
5. Mix in egg, bread crumbs and cheese. After mixture is evenly combined, divide into 4 patties.
6. Reheat the bacon fat and cook the burgers for 4 minutes per side on medium heat.
(top image and recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray)
Check out all the great Weekly Drool Recipes on the BBS Blog! Summer recipes are a-plenty every Wednesday throughout the season! Fresh Watermelon Salad, Bully Stick Popsicles and Blueberry Pie Dog Treats are just a few great summer recipes that are sure to please your pup this summer.