Happy Fourth of July! Today we celebrate the independence of our country, barbeque with friends and family, and have a day off work! As you’re preparing to go to your family get-together or barbeque down by the lake, don’t forget Fido! Today’s drool-worthy recipe comes from Yuki + Rocket, and of course their mom, Melissa. She’s shared this perfect blueberry cookie recipe that is perfect for your pooch’s taste buds! We know your dog will enjoy this star-spangled dog treat!
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp flaxseed
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened or naturally sweetened)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, defrosted (preferably organic)
1 tbsp honey
Non- fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, flaxseed and oats. Add the applesauce, blueberries (setting aside the blueberry liquid that forms after the defrosting), and honey. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough just begins to hold together.
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface. Roll out the dough to desired thickness and with whatever cookie cutter shape you have chosen, cut out the cookie.
4. Place cookie cut-outs on a silpat or lightly greased baking sheet. Put in oven for about 30 minutes. You need to flip the cookies over halfway through the baking time and also rotate the pan. Let cookies cool completely before icing.
Recipe Note: If you don’t use a sweetened yogurt, you might want to consider adding a little honey to the yogurt.
1. With a small whisk, mix the yogurt until there are little to no clumps. Slowly add the blueberry liquid, teaspoon at time. Careful not to add too much, you don’t want it to become runny.
2. Pour yogurt into some sort of icing decorator. I spooned the yogurt into a plastic squeeze bottle.
3. Store cookies in the refrigerator, icing will set better if left in for a few hours.
Recipe Note: I suggest feeding your pup the cookies the same day they are made or you can store the cookies and yogurt icing separately, if you want to feed them to your pups the next day. If you leave the cookies with yogurt overnight, the yogurt will dry up.
Your dog is sure to see fireworks with these festive treats! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe and the photos with us, Yuki + Rocket!