What is the mission of your rescue?
- To rescue and provide care and shelter for homeless, abandoned and abused animals in our service area.
- To find loving “forever” homes for the animals that we rescue.
- To reduce the over-population of unwanted and homeless dogs and cats in Southside Virginia through public education and our low and no-cost spay and neuter programs.
What is your rescue’s biggest success story?
Every day the Southside SPCA directors are prepared for the unexpected. But what they weren’t prepared for is the call for help they received in February of this year. Animal control officers in rural southern Virginia happened upon a property, off an old logging road, where they discovered a massive number of dogs in need. Without the knowledge or resources to handle a rescue of this magnitude, they needed our assistance. After a week of careful planning and organizing, the Southside SPCA led a team of over 10 groups from Fredericksburg, Stafford County, Northern, VA, and beyond. At the crack of dawn, on a cold Monday morning, a caravan of over 15 transport vans and trailers headed down I-95 to help.
We convened at the local county offices, where Southside SPCA staff briefed the rescue organizations. From there we descended on the property and efficiently and gently removed 94 dogs.
Every group worked tirelessly and stretched their resources to save as many dogs as they could. We rescued Hounds, Labs, Pitbulls, Dachshunds, Beagles, Chihuahuas, and many other breeds and mixes. Ultimately 98 dogs in total were rescued. The Southside SPCA brought together many groups with the sole purpose of making a difference in the lives of these dogs in need. We made some amazing new friends that day and learned, when it comes to rescue, it truly does “take a village”.
What is your rescue’s goal for the future?
- To eliminate euthanasia of healthy animals in Southside Virginia through education and easy access to spay and neuter services.
- To increase our volunteer and financial support so that we can continue to expand our rescue, care, adoption, and spay and neuter programs.
- To secure the long-term future of the Southside SPCA by establishing and funding an endowment to provide the sustainable source of annual income needed to continue operating our shelters and to support and expand our programs and services in the years to come.
How can our readers help?
Donate, spay/neuter pets, volunteer.
Do you have social media or a website where our readers can find you?