As you all know, we are big fans of homemade dog treats here at Best Bully Sticks. In addition to supplementing your dog’s diet with natural treats and chews, adding homemade dog treats to the mix is a great way to keep your hound happy and healthy!
When we received a copy of In the Dog Kitchen: Great Snack Recipes for your Dog by Julie Van Rosendaal, we were super excited! We enjoyed flipping through the pages to see the photographs and descriptions of dog treats.
So far we have tried one treat,
Tuna Tater Tots.
Its description: Made purely of tuna and potatoes, these flavorful bites are perfect for small dogs.
Our Social Media Manager was visiting with miniature Schnauzer Cloud, and this treat sounded like the perfect fit!
- 1 (6 oz) can tuna or salmon (packed in water or oil), undrained
- 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
We love that this easy recipe only has 2 ingredients, ones that you may already have in your pantry.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the tuna (with the liquid from the can) and potato flakes until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and let the mixture sit for a few minutes- this will allow the potato flakes to absorb some of the moisture from the tuna- then pulse again until well blended. The mixture should resemble fresh bread crumbs but hold together when squeezed. If the mixture is too dry to hold together, add a splash of water or stock.
- Shape into marble-size balls or small cylinders and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until firm. Cool on the baking sheets, and store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge, or freeze.
What did Cloud think of the Tuna Tater Tots?
We hope that you enjoy this recipe from In the Dog Kitchen by Julie Van Rosendaal. Her book is available on Amazon.com for a reasonable price and comes with 70 tempting recipes, including some recipes that intrigued us like
– Lentil Cheezies
– Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup Bites (we passed this page around, and everyone agreed that these look tasty for humans, too!)
– Ham & Buckwheat Cookies
Stay tuned for another Featured recipe from In the Dog Kitchen! Bone Appetit!