Is your dog pacing nervously, barking excessively, chewing objects, whimpering, urinating or defecating in the house or persistently licking paws? Then your dog may be experiencing anxiety which can be triggered by loud noises, stress, grief, moving, separation or fears. Herbs can be just what mother nature ordered, especially if you have a dog suffering from continuous bouts of anxiety. There are many all natural herbs that we have found to help with calming an anxious and nervous dog. Here are a few safe, all natural, anti-anxiety herb remedies that may offer up some stress relief. These herbs can be found at most natural health food stores.
1. Chamomile. Give your dog chamomile tea, or mix chamomile in with their food. Chamomile will calm your stressed & anxious dog and act as a mild sedative.
2. Oats. Oats are not only healthy for your dog but a great natural and safe remedy to help calm your pup. Mix fully cooked oats with your dog’s food.
3. Lavender. The scent of lavender works wonder to sooth and calm a anxious dog. Put lavender essential oil on a cotton ball or cloth and put it in an area where your dog is frequently, but out of paws reach.
4. Bach Rescue Remedy. A blend of herbs, is a safe, gentle, all-natural form of healing that can reduce your pet’s stress.
5. Valerian. Safe herb that you can use to calm dogs who have trouble with extreme excitability, anxiety and tension. You can purchase Valerian in tinctures, teas and capsules. Take the tincture or powder from the capsule and mix it into your dog’s food or brew a tea for him to drink (make sure tea is cooled down before serving).
As always consult with holistic vet for proper dosage amounts & advice.