At Best Bully Sticks, we value both your pet’s happiness and the environment. We often hear of ways that us humans can help the environment, but we want to give you some insight on how your pups can help too!
Earth Day was established nearly 50 years ago in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson. Nelson, a U.S. Senator at the time, was witnessing the effects of the 1969 oil spill in Santa Barbara, CA, which led him to come up with the idea of a national holiday to focus on the environment.
We celebrate Earth Day every year on April 22nd. This day gave a voice to the emerging issue of environmental conscientiousness and put environmental concerns on the forefront. 20 million Americans went to the streets, parks and auditoriums to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in large rallies throughout the U.S.
The national holiday is observed by over a billion people each year and has become a day of action that aims to change our behavior and invoke policy changes.
How You and Your Pup Can Celebrate
- Take a nice walk with your dog instead of driving to the park.
- Carpool with friends for a play date.
- Organize a local dog park cleanup.
- Treat your dog to all-natural treats! (Our single-ingredient treats and chews do not contain chemicals, additives or artificial ingredients.)
- Buy toys made from recycled materials.
- Clean up your dog’s waste. (Dog waste is a major pollutant and can run into our water supplies when left behind and not disposed of properly.)
- Use biodegradable poop bags instead of plastic ones.
- Use natural, biodegradable products without chemicals.
- Brush your dog outside. (This will save electricity from vacuuming or plastic bags used for collecting the fur. Birds will use the fur to help build their nests.)
- Donate old toys, blankets, towels, and unneeded food.
- Spay or neuter your dog. (This will help decrease dog overpopulation and animal suffering.)
- Adopt! (Think of it as animal “recycling.”)
For more ideas on how to become more eco-friendly with your dog, read our previous blog posts on Earth Day: 3 Ways to Honor Earth Day with Fido and BBS Recognizes Earth Day or check out doghealth.com‘s article, Earth Day: Ways to Observe Earth Day with Your Dog.
Happy Earth Day!