Although the Thanksgiving menu is chalk full of delicious bounty for humans to enjoy. The smell of roast turkey in the air makes it even more tempting to share some of your food scraps with your salivating, begging loyal dog. If your dog is like our pugs Sushi & Espy then you will probably find their hungry eyes glued to the oven door watching their favorite cooking show “All Things Turkey”. Truth be told there are a few thanksgiving foods that are dangerous and potentially deadly to pets. Here is a list of foods that your pet should avoid at all cost courtesy of Dr. Bill Craig, DVM.
Bones – Many pet owners want to hand over left over bones from the turkey, ham or steak to the dog, but these small bones can become lodged in the throat, stomach, or intestinal tract or break into splinters, causing extensive damage to the stomach and gastro-intestinal tract if swallowed, even puncturing the small intestines.
Raw or undercooked turkey – may contain deadly salmonella bacteria
Dough and Cake Batter – The combination of raw bread dough and the pet’s body heat can cause the dough to rise inside the stomach, resulting in vomiting, severe abdominal pain and bloating. The batter used in cakes and pies usually contains raw eggs which could contain salmonella bacteria that may lead to food poisoning.
Fat trimmings or very fatty foods – Rich, fatty foods such as turkey skin and dark turkey meat are difficult to digest and can cause vomiting and diarrhea in your dog, and in extreme cases, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) .
** BBS Side Note: Symptoms of pancreatitis include loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and fever. If you suspect your dog has helped himself to a turkey dinner and showing signs of having these symptoms seek vet help ASAP!
Onion and Garlic – These ingredients contain sulfides, which are toxic to animals and can cause the destruction of red blood cells, especially in cats, causing Heinz body anemia.
Sage – This, as well as many other herbs, contain essential oils and resins that can cause gastrointestinal upset and central nervous system depression to pets, especially in cats.
Raisins and Grapes – They are a choking hazard to pets and ingestion of either can cause significant kidney damage.
Walnuts and Macadamia Nuts – These can cause weakness, depression, incoordination, and tremors. In addition, the high fat levels of these nuts may cause pancreatitis in dogs, resulting severe vomiting and diarrhea.
Chocolate – Chocolate can be toxic for pets, or even fatal, due to a substance called theobromine found in chocolate.
Mushrooms – These can produce damage to a number of internal organs, including kidneys, liver, and the central nervous system. If a dog eats mushrooms, seizures, coma, vomiting, even death can occur.
Chewing Gum and Candy – Many contain Xylitol, an artificial sweetener that can cause a severe drop in blood glucose in dogs and As soon as 30 minutes after ingestion, dogs can begin to show signs of depression, loss of coordination, and seizures. Xylitol may also lead to delayed onset damage to the liver occurring days to weeks after ingestion. Xylitol toxicity in pets may be fatal and requires immediate medical attention.
Beer – Alcohol, especially the hops in beer, can be particularly harmful to dogs, causing intoxication, panting, fever, racing heart, liver damage, even coma, seizures and death.
On behalf of the Best Bully Sticks team, have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!