Is your dog itching for some relief? Well we have just the thing, a nice, soothing and comfy oatmeal bath. Oatmeal nourishes, moisturizes and soothes the skin. An oatmeal bath leaves an invisible protective oatmeal coating on the skin, protecting it from further itching. Hey this is even great for us humans! Just cue the soothing music and light the aromatherapy candles and you have yourself a spa day. Here’s the simple instructions on making an oatmeal bath for your dog.
1. Blend one cup of plain uncooked oatmeal in a blender until it is a fine powder. Powdering the oatmeal makes the oatmeal dissolve in the water easily. Any type of oatmeal is suitable, as long as it is plain oatmeal. Do not use oatmeal that contains flavorings or sugar.
2. Fill up a bathtub with lukewarm water to a level that will reach the middle of your dog’s chest. Test the temperature of the water on the inside of your wrist. The water should feel comfortably warm. If the water feels cold or hot, adjust the temperature accordingly.
3. Add the cup of powdered oatmeal to the bath water. Use your hand to swish the oatmeal powder around in the water to dissolve the powder. Make sure to mix the oatmeal powder thoroughly so that it does not clump at the bottom of the bathtub. The bath water will turn a milky white color as the oatmeal dissolves.
4. Recheck the temperature of the bath water with the inside of your wrist to make sure that it is still at a comfortable temperature for your dog and adjust it if necessary.
5. Place your dog in the bath water to soak. With your hands, gently scoop some of the oatmeal bath water onto to your dog’s back. Continue to do this every few minutes. Allow your dog to soak in the oatmeal bath for 10 to 15 minutes. Talk to your dog, scoop water on its back and pet it while it soaks.
6. Remove your dog from the oatmeal bath without rinsing the mixture off and gently pat it dry with a clean towel. The oatmeal mixture will leave an invisible protective and nourishing coating on your dog’s skin that will help stop further itching.
You can give your dog an oatmeal bath once a day for up to three days. And once a month thereafter. More frequent baths can irritate your dog’s skin.