Dry, itchy skin can leave your dog feeling miserable and you going crazy over your dogs incessant scratching. All this scratching can be unbearable to watch and give you the itches. Well we are here to remedy the situation. Here are some easy, safe and natural remedies to soothe dry, itchy skin and give your dog some relief.
1. Vinegar & Water. Calm the itch by wetting the area with a solution of half vinegar and half cold water.
2. Oatmeal. Another remedy is to put a half cup of oatmeal in a quart of water, bring to a boil, strain, and let it cool to room temperature. Pat the mixture on the itchy spots.
3. Olive Oil & Lavender. Mix one half cup of olive oil with one half teaspoon of lavender essential oil. Dip a cotton ball in the oil mixture and rub on the itchy areas.
4. Fish Oil. Apply fish oil directly to the skin and coat; or put a bit of the oil in your dog’s food once or twice a week or give as a fish oil capsule. Consult vet for proper dosage.
5. Aloe Vera. Aloe vera soothes and moisturizes dry or itchy skin. Cut open some leaves from an aloe vera plant and strip out the pulp. Gently massage the pulp and juice into your dog’s skin.
Consult vet if itching is persistent and does not get any better. This could be a tell tail sign of something more serious.