Labor Day is just around the corner, which signals the end of the summer season. Best Bully Sticks doesn’t want to say, “So Long Sweet Summer” just yet, so we’ve found a great dog-friendly party food for your Labor Day shin-dig. Erica from For the Love of Pooch blog shared her Pigs In A Blanket recipe with us and we think you’ll have as much fun making these adorable treats as Fido will have eating them. We know Mochi, Erica’s terrier-mix, did!
1 C. whole wheat flour (regular or white)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 C. grated cheddar cheese
1/3 C. water
2.5 oz jar of Gerber Graduates Lil’ Sticks Meat (7 pieces)
Recipe Note: Gerber Graduate Lil’ Sticks Meat Sticks are fine for dogs, however you can also use organic hot dogs, veggie hot dogs or any other all-natural hot dog your dog likes.
2. Sift the dry ingredients (flour through baking powder) into a mixing bowl.
3. Add honey, olive oil, cheddar cheese, and water. Mix well and knead into dough ball.
4. Roll dough onto a rectangle surface (I used my 9 x 7 cutting board). Trim sides to get a rectangle.
5. Slice into fours then diagonally to make 8 triangles.
6. One at a time, roll up the sausages in the triangles. Place pointy side down on greased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, until golden brown.
After cooled, place in airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Waiting until cooled is an important step; condensation can build and the moisture will cause treats to mold.
A BIG thanks to Erica and Mochi for sharing this great treat recipe with Best Bully Sticks! Check out all of BBS’s Weekly Drool Recipes for great ideas on special treats for your pup! We’ve got some fantastic Fall recipes coming up soon!
Enjoy & Bone Appétit!