It’s only 20 days until Christmas! That’s why BestBullySticks.com is going to be sharing festive, yummy dog treats you can whip up for your four-legged house guests and Fido’s friends very quickly. Thumbprint cookies seem to be a staple in many Holiday baked-good gifts, so now you can treat your neighborhood dogs to the same treat. Using all-natural jam and yummy peanut butter, these Thumbprint Dog Treats are sure to make an impression.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy
1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup all-natural strawberry jam, sugar free (see recipe note!)
1. Preheat oven to 325° F
2. Whisk together the flour, oats and cinnamon.
3. Place the peanut butter, chicken broth and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15 seconds. Stir together the warm peanut butter and liquids. If needed, microwave again for 10 to 15 seconds. Stir again until all of the liquid is incorporated into the peanut butter.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir, using a fork, until dough forms.
6. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, scoop out rounded balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
8. Create an indentation, and flatten each cookie. (This can be done with the end of a candy thermometer.)
9. Bake for 15 minutes. Leave the peanut butter dog treats in the oven, once it’s turned off, to cool.
10. Once the dog treats are completely cooled, place the jam in a microwave safe container. Microwave for 10 seconds. Then stir the jam. If needed, microwave for another 10 seconds and stir. You want a smooth liquid consistency.
11, Using a 1/2 teaspoon, gently spoon the jam into each cookies indentation. Let the jam cool completely before moving the dog treats.
Recipe Notes: Storing – These peanut butter dog treats are delicate with the addition of the jam. First, they need to be stored in a single layer as the jam does not harden completely. Once in an air tight container, like a freezer bag, they can be kept in the refrigerator for one week. Store them in the freezer for up to four months. These gourmet dog treats will keep fresh longer without the jam middle. You can bake the cookies, not adding the jam, and keep them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months. Then before you serve, follow the last four steps of this recipe.
Sugar-Free Jam: Check your ingredients. Make sure your sugar-free jam is free of artificial sweeteners that can harm your dog, especially Xylitol. Using an all-natural or organic jelly or jam will ensure you are giving your dog a better jam or jelly. And remember, no grape!
Yield – Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, this recipe will make 30 dog cookies.
Bone Appétit & Enjoy!
For another great Holiday Dog Treat idea, check out Peanut Butter Pumpkin Puppy Treats!