Treat your dog to a stocking full of goodies and a tasty treat! Nothing say’s yuletide cheer more then homemade dog treats for your four-legged family member. So make the holidays more festive and delicious with this Nutter Butter Dog Treat Recipe. Seasons Eatings!
3 1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour (you can substitute white flour)
1 c cornmeal
3/4 c. oatmeal flakes
1 medium apple
1/3 c peanut butter (or use 1/2 c. Chunky Peanut Butter)
1/2 c crushed peanuts (skip if you’re using Chunky Peanut Butter)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. water
1 tsp vanilla
Makes about 40-1″ dog treats
1. Dice up apple. Don’t bother to peel the apple.
2. Add to a food processor, diced apple, peanut butter, oil, water, eggs and vanilla. Blend until apple is completely emulsified.
3. Add the cornmeal and oatmeal and blend.
4. With the food processor running, gradually add the Whole Wheat Flour until completely incorporated.
5. Add nuts and pulse 2 or 3 times, just enough to mix nuts into the dough. Dough will be thick and sort of rubbery to the touch.
6. Remove dough to a small bowl.
7. Roll 1 tsp of dough into a ball. Depending on the size of your dog, you may want to make a smaller sized ball.
8. Place each ball of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and press down to form a flat disk. Dog treats do not rise when baked, so whatever size they are going into the oven, is the size they will be when baked.
9. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. When treats are done, turn off oven and crack open oven door. Leave treats in oven overnight to dry out.
Courtesy of Big Black Dog