BestBullySticks loves our hometown of Richmond, Virginia! Historic, beautiful and full of dogs and dog lovers, we really couldn’t have a better home for our all-natural dog treat company! Mary Andrews & Tim Vidra are the brains behind 17 Apart, a blog documenting their original recipes, how-to’s and their life, which includes a Weimaraner named Basil. Best Bully’s is proud to share a hometown blogger with you and bit of what they do for their prized pooch, namely their Carrot & Banana Dog Treat recipe! RVA is truly a dog lover’s city!
Carrot & Banana Dog Treats
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 bunch fresh carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 2-3 fresh bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (*optional, we went without)
- 1/2 cup cold water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal & *brown sugar) in large mixing bowl, then incorporate carrots, bananas, egg, oil, and water until well blended into workable dough.
Note: With both the carrots and bananas, I chopped them into large pieces, then slowly pulsed them in our food processor. This not only saved me time, but created semi-regular sized carrot chunks and smooth banana mash to blend right into the rest of the base ingredients. I left the pulsed carrot pieces fairly chunky instead of pureeing them, because I like the idea of being able to see the actual carrot pieces throughout each treat.
3. Flour your workspace and roll out dough to desired thickness. We went with about 1/2 inch thickness to allow for some expansion once baked. Cut cookies to desired shape and size.
4. Place dog cookies on baking sheet and bake 35 minutes.
5. After baking, turn oven off and leave cookies inside for another 30-45 minutes until crisp. This step is important to make sure your treats harden up, otherwise they will remain like soft cookies.
6. Once crisp, remove dog cookies from oven and let cool. Transfer to zipper bags or airtight containers and freeze to preserve freshness for your little one!
Bone Appétit & Enjoy!
A BIG “Thank-You” to Mary, Tim & Basil for sharing their wonderful recipe and photographs with us! Visit Follow their adventures at 17apart.com.