The key to good doggy behavior is starting with the basics, basic dog commands. The most important ingredient in getting your dog to obey verbal commands is positive reinforcement. Here are a few basic commands all dog owners must know and dogs should learn.
1. Hold a treat in front of your dogs nose and just beyond his reach.
2. Slowly raise the treat above his head so that as his eyes follow the treat, his backside naturally sits.
3. As soon as he begins the sitting motion, say “sit”.
4. Once his bottom is firmly placed on the floor, give him the treat and praise him with “good sit!”
*If your dog is jumping for the treat, you may be holding the treat too high above him. If your dog backs up instead of sitting, try training him next to a wall that can limit his movement backwards.
1. Sit your dog in front of you.
2. Hold the treat against the floor and close to your dog’s body.
3. Slowly move the treat away from your dog so that a laying down motion enable him to follow the treat.
4. As soon as your dog begins the laying motion, say “down”.
5. Once the dog is down, reward him with a treat and praise him.
*If your dog stands up instead of laying down, try again. Like we always say practice makes perfect!
Teaching ” Stand”
1. Start with your dog in a sitting in front of you.
2. Slowly move the treat close to your body and take a step backwards. Your dog should stand in order to follow the treat.
3. Once dog begins standing motion, say “stand” or “up”.
4. Once your dog is standing, reward with treat and lots of praise.
Teaching “Sit” from “Down”
1. Begin with dog in the down position.
2. Hold the treat in front of your dog’s nose and move it slowly above his head.
3. Just in the normal sit command, your dog should naturally sit up while he follows the treat.
4. As dog begins the sitting motion, say “sit”.
5. Once sitting, reward with treat and praise.
Remember these essential basic dog commands takes practice, time and patience on your part. Training should be fun for the both of you!
How Can You Give Back To Barkworthy Rescues and Shelters Across the Globe? Click to Give a $1 at Checkout!
Well, we we tell you how you can help Best Bully Sticks support them. With your help we can save lives one $1 at a time and no animal needs to suffer.
Participate in our Best Bully Sticks $1 Donation Program by shopping on www.bestbullysticks.com and clicking to donate a $1 at checkout. For every $1 you donate at checkout we will donate a $1 with a 100% of the proceeds going to rescues and shelters in need across the country. The money raised will help with out reach, basic animal necessities and rescue programs. Donations raised monthly by you will be given to 3 lucky rescues during our ongoing monthly Best Bully Sticks Rescue Shelter Giveaway.
Do you have a bone to pick with us?
Our dog chews & dog bones are all natural, and from either Brazilian or US meat sources. If you have a highly aggressive chewers then you came to the right place. Your dogs will fall in love with our grrreat selection, while you go gaga over our amazing prices! We are constantly adding new dog bones & chews, so make sure to check back often. Better yet sign up for our newsletter and receive the inside scoop on new products, special saving & discounts & stay up to date on Best Bully Sticks happenings for 2010. We have some wonderful things in store worth barking about, so sniff around our site daily!
Offering you more of the best of the best-with your input!
Since you are our most valuable resource and we want Best Bully Sticks to be your go-to source for great pooch stuff, we need your help! Please let us know what you think we should offer, and how you think we can improve our website, for your best possible shopping experience with us. We will carefully consider all ideas.
Give the gift of a good chew by shopping www.bestbullysticks.com. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended! Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our chew-licious bully sticks and much more. Try our NEW All Natural Free Range Odor free bully sticks!
Smile and Say Bully Sticks! Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!
Also, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter for Best Bully Stick News, New Products & Discounts!! For daily updates follow us on twitter @bestbullysticks
Become a fan of our facebook page for exclusive coupons and giveaways. http://www.facebook.com/BestBullySticks