If you haven’t already guessed making resolutions is a lot harder then keeping them. It’s a New Year which means a long priority list of resolutions starting off with a new and improved, energetic & healthy you. But while you are writings down your list of do’s and don’ts don’t forget your pet, perhaps your dog has a few resolutions of his own. With dog obesity on the rise dogs can really benefit from a daily active lifestyle of fetch, a brisk walk or jog around the block.
So, get your butt in high gear for 2011 we recommend the buddy system. Getting in shape is much easier when you have an exercise buddy & some accountability. So, give the treadmill a break and look no further then at your feet. Dogs make excellent running & jogging companions. They are always eager for a good run to help you shed those unwanted Holiday pounds or maintain your beautiful physique. But before you get off the couch, put down the remote & pint of ice cream and get on your running gear. Here are a few tips to make running with your dog easy for the both of you. Remember safety first!
1. Get a Checkup. If you are considering setting a daily exercise regime make sure you and your dog both get a clean bill of health from the doctor. Check with your veterinarian before starting your dog on an exercise program to make sure running is right for them.
2. Warm up your dog by walking first. Put your pet through a nice brisk walk or short jog to loosen up muscles and get the heart pumping. Like humans, dogs can experience signs of stiff-ness after the initial run. Once run is over let your dog cool down with a walk at the end.
3. Pace Yourself. Build up slowly, and watch for signs of fatigue. Remember dogs get tired as well. Like us they need to be slowly conditioned to handle whatever terrain & distance you set in front of them. So build up endurance over time. If your dog lies down during a workout, end the session or give them a time out.
If your dog appears to be overheating stop the jog immediately. Cool him down slowly with cool water (not cold). Signs of overheating include the following
Increased heart rate
4. Carry Water. Keep water on hand before, during and after a workout.
5. Be aware of your dogs running surface. If your dog is not accustomed to running on pavement, build up gradually. Remember dogs don’t have the leisure of throwing on a pair of jell shocked absorbing running sneakers. The only thing between your dogs paws & the pavement are his pads. For this reason it is important that you first build up your dogs endurance & pads toughness by with walking distance.
6. Watch the weather forecast. Dogs cannot regulate heat as efficiently as humans when temperature rises and cool down by panting and sweating through their pads. When the mercury rises dogs are at greater risk for heat stroke & dehydration. Opt to jog, walk or run with your dog early in the morning or late evening and avoid the hottest time of the day.
7. Leash up! Keep your dog (even the most obedient ones) on a leash and by your side when running for his protection & others. It is important that you rein in your dog and have complete control. Don’t let your dog run ahead on leash only to leave you dragging behind. Keep in mind that the whole purpose of exercising is not only to get in shape but to bond with your loyal companion.
Best Bully Sticks News!
What’s new on Best Bully Sticks?
We are all about GREAT prices, selection & service! In honor of the New Year we are going to be adding more to our Best Bully Sticks product line. Here is just a handful of our new product offering.
K9 Natural is a revolutionary, New Zealand-made 100% raw, freeze dried dog food which combines the natural goodness of fresh whole foods with an absolute commitment to the true nutritional needs of canines.
PureBites for Cats are healthy and nutritious freeze dried cat treats.
Thundershirt great solution for dog anxiety.
Max & Ruffy’s Organic Dog Treats are delicious, healthy & vegan.
Terrabone Fresh Breath value Pack is the safest and healthiest dental chew bone for fresh breath.
Become a Facebook Fan, “Like” our page & Help us reach 5,000 fans.
How Can You Give Back To Barkworthy Rescues and Shelters Across the Globe? Click to Give a $1 at Checkout!
Well, we we tell you how you can help Best Bully Sticks support them. With your help we can save lives one $1 at a time and no animal needs to suffer.
Participate in our Best Bully Sticks $1 Donation Program by shopping on www.bestbullysticks.com and clicking to donate a $1 at checkout. For every $1 you donate at checkout we will donate a $1 with a 100% of the proceeds going to rescues and shelters in need across the country. The money raised will help with out reach, basic animal necessities and rescue programs. Donations raised monthly by you will be given to 3 lucky rescues during our ongoing monthly Best Bully Sticks Rescue Shelter Giveaway.
NEW! PRICE-MATCH GUARANTEE!
We are so confident that we offer the best prices at www.bestbullysticks.com that we now match ANY online vendor price on any item we sell!
If you find anything on www.bestbullysticks.com for less on another website (excluding Amazon and Ebay), let us know and we’ll credit the difference to you. It must be the same item. For bulk items, we’ll try our best to match the price. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to take advantage of this great new service.
Is your dog barking for his or her time in the spotlight?
If you would like your dog spotlighted or want to recommend a dog breed you love for our next Best Bully Sticks Spotlight on a Breed entry please send us an email or tweet @bestbullysticks. Don’t forget to send over a photogenic pic of your dog as well.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our bully sticks. Try our odor free bully sticks!
Take The Guessing Out Of Gift Giving With A Best Bully Stick Gift Certificate!
But what do you do for the pampered pup or feline that has everything? Hmmm..For the pet that has everything give a Best Bully’s Gift Certificate and take the guessing out of gift giving! This is a great way for you to give that furry special someone in your life or loving pet owner a special gift by allowing them to select the exact products their furry companion are looking for.
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!