There is a growing pet epidemic on the raise. What is it you say? Each year thousands of dogs and cats suffer from accidental poisoning from the ingestion of household cleaners, plants, medications, common foods and pesticides. There is a lot of truth to the proverb “curiosity killed the cat” but we can’t forget that dogs often fall victim.
Understanding your pets health risk and dangers comes with the territory of being a responsible owner & parent of our furry citizens. Playing a crucial role in helping you provide your pet with a safe home to grow, fetch, sleep & play.
So what are the most common top pet toxins to BE-WARE of?
1. Acteminophen can be found in Tylenol. Although great pain reliever & fever reducer for humans if ingested is lethal to pets. It only takes 1 pill to kill a cat and can cause kidney & liver failure in dogs.
2. Ibuprofen common brands include Advil, Midol, Motrin.
3. Plants are beautiful but can be poisonous & deadly if ingested by your pet. Here are a list of plants to avoid:
*Christmas tree pine needles
*Mulch with Cocoa beans
4. Human Food include avocadoes, chocolate, coffee, raisins, nutmeg, onions, grapes, garlic, raw salmon and sweetener Xylitol found in sugar free candy & gum. Of course the list goes on.
5. Household Cleaners can cause serious chemical burns if licked & consumed
6. Anti-freeze with its sweet smelling aroma will prompt our pets to lick away.
8. OTC flea medication contain the insecticide pyrethrin & permethrin that can be just as harmful as the fleas that plague your pet. Opt for a more all natural flea preventive route. Always consult your vet before using any type of medication.
Remember that your pet is not invincible and can become seriously ill & die from the ingest of these household hazards. Many of them lurk under kitchen cabinets, in garages, driveway, backyards, trash cans and pose as beautiful floral centerpieces. Here are a few tips to help in the prevention of accidental poisoning and keep your inquisitive pet safe & toxic-free.
1. Bag & Cover it! Use covered trash cans to prevent access to empty cleaning bottles, table scraps, leftover foods, disposed medications.
2. Not a Pet Zone. Keep pets out of garages & sheds and away from oil and anti-freeze leaks. Pets will be tempted by the spilled sweet smelling scent of anti-freeze in your garage, driveway, on the street or in parking lots.
3. Store cleaners away safely out of paws reach. Keeping clean house is important for the health & well being of your family. So be careful where you store potentially hazardous cleaning products. You see, pets are sneaky & quite resourceful and will use their smarts to gain access to your cleaning stash found in lower cabinets or empty bottles in trash cans. If storing your cleaners under your cabinets make sure it is under lock and key. Better yet, opt for more eco-friendly, safe & toxic free household cleaning alternatives (Greenworks, Method, Mrs. Meyers, 7th Generations)
4. Ain’t no Watering Hole! During Christmas, cover tree water so pets are not tempted to take a sip. You see pine needles are poisonous to dogs & cats.
As always, if you suspect your beloved pet have ingested a poison. Don’t wait, please seek vet emergency help quickly and in a timely manner. Please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Best Bully Sticks News!
Become a Facebook Fan, “Like” our page & Help us reach 106,000 fans.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats & chews, and of course our bully sticks. Try our odor free bully sticks!
Take The Guessing Out Of Gift Giving With A Best Bully Stick Gift Certificate!
But what do you do for the pampered pup or feline that has everything? Hmmm..For the pet that has everything give a Best Bully’s Gift Certificate and take the guessing out of gift giving! This is a great way for you to give that furry special someone in your life or loving pet owner a special gift by allowing them to select the exact products their furry companion are looking for.
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!