Summer not only marks the time for outdoor fun but heat waves which can be hazardous to your dogs health. Here are some simple summer time dog safety tips to beat the heat and stay cool!
1. Exercise your dog early in the morning or late at night. With the heat dogs run the risk of getting hear exhaustion and heat stroke so exercising or walking your dog in the cooler parts of the day is key. Avoid strenuous excercise with your dog when it very hot outdoors.
2. Use doggie boots. Keep in mind that when the mercury rises this will cause the pavements & surfaces like asphalt & cement to heat up. Before taking your dog for a walk check the surfaces by hand to see if you can stand it. Better yet have your dog wear booties to prevent their paws from becoming burned.
3. Watch for signs of dehydration. Dogs can’t sweat, they cool off by panting. Some signs your dog is overheating is excessive drooling, lethargy, bloodshot eyes and paleness. You can also do a dehydration skin test by lifting a piece of your dogs skin. If its takes longer for the skin to fall back into place then this can be a sign of dehydration.
4. Keep your dog hydrated! Darker coat & overweight weight dogs run a higher risk of dehydration. Always carry enough water & collapsible bowl when going on a short or long walk and hike with your dog.
5. Cool your dog down. You can cool your dog down with a kiddie pool under a shady tree, laying down a wet towel for your dog to lie on, turning on the sprinklers or gently spritzing your dog. You can be creative with a make shift air conditioner by setting up a fan in front of a pan of ice.
6. Bottoms up! Dogs cool from the bottom up so spritz your dogs paws and stomach, not just the top of the dog. You can also place a wet towel on the bottom of your dog.
7. Check the weather. Keep an eye on pet weather alerts during the summer and heed the warnings to have your pet chill out indoors.
8. Never leave your dog in a parked car. Cars (even when shaded) retains more heat and can heat up very quickly leading to heat stroke & possible death.
9. Doggy paddle in the pool! Cool down with your dog by taking a dip in the swimming pool. Never push or force your dog into the pool it may only traumatize him, instead gently coax your dog in and hold on to him until he is comfortable in the water.
NEW! PRICE-MATCH GUARANTEE!
We are so confident that we offer the best prices at bestbullysticks.com that we now match ANY online vendor price on any item we sell!
If you find anything on bestbullysticks.com for less on another website (excluding Amazon and Ebay), let us know and we’ll credit the difference to you. It must be the same item. For bulk items, we’ll try our best to match the price. Email us at email@example.com with any questions or to take advantage of this great new service.
Do you have a bone to pick with us?
Our dog chews & bones are all natural, and from either Brazilian or US meat sources. If you have a highly aggressive chewers then you came to the right place. Your dogs will fall in love with our grrreat selection, while you go gaga over our amazing prices! We are constantly adding new dog bones & chews, so make sure to check back often. Better yet sign up for our newsletter and receive the inside scoop on new products, special saving & discounts & stay up to date on Best Bully Sticks happenings for 2010. We have some wonderful things in store worth barking about, so sniff around our site daily!
Offering you more of the best of the best-with your input!
Since you are our most valuable resource and we want Best Bully Sticks to be your go-to source for great pooch stuff, we need your help! Please let us know what you think we should offer, and how you think we can improve our website, for your best possible shopping experience with us. We will carefully consider all ideas.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Please make sure to check out our growing selection of dog treats, dog chews, and of course our bully sticks. Try our NEW Odorless Odor free all natural free range bully sticks!
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!