Although emergencies and accidents are unforeseen, one should always be prepared for worst case scenario. That is why all pet owners should know canine first aid and have a pet first aid kit within paws reach. Preparedness, knowing what to do in an emergency, and acting swiftly could mean the difference between life or death and your pet sustaining additional injuries. Being prepared gives your pet a fighting chance of survival and most often a quicker recovery.
Making a basic DIY Pet First Aid Kit or purchasing a pre-made kit at your local pet store is a must. Pet First Aid Kit is great to have on hand for everyday use or in the event of a natural disaster resulting in minor or major injuries. It is recommended that you have one for your home and your car for easy accessibility. If you prefer making your own first aid kit here are a list of essentials that should be include. Make sure your first aid preparedness disaster kit is well stocked and medical materials are stored in a durable, water proof container.
- Sterile gauze pads (3″ x 3″ and 2″ X 2″) and gauze bandage rolls (1″ and 2″)
- First-aid adhesive tape, 1″ roll
- Masking tape
- Cotton swabs (Q-tips®)
- Plastic freezer/sandwich bags
- Small bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Styptic pencil or cornstarch (stems blood flow from minor cuts)
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Antibacterial ointment
- Antiseptic cleansing wipes
- Kaopectate® or Pepto-Bismol®
- Flash light
- Saline Solution (clean out wounds and flush the eyes)
- Muzzle (to help restrain your animal if it becomes aggressive due to shock and pain)
- A current pet first-aid book
- Eyedropper (dispensing liquid medication or for cleaning superficial wounds)
- Mineral oil (a lubricant and laxative when given by mouth)
- Ipecac syrup ( to induce vomiting in the event your pet is poisoned, consult your veterinarian before inducing vomiting)
- Digital or rectal thermometer in a plastic case
- Leather work gloves (to protect you from being bitten)
- Latex gloves
- Thin rope
- Splint materials (tongue depressor, 12-inch wooden ruler or thick magazine)
- Activated charcoal (good for poisoning or diarrhea and controls flatulence resulting from any stomach or intestinal upset)
- Phone numbers (your pet’s regular veterinarian and of a nearby emergency veterinary hospital)
- Instant cold pack
- Rags/rubber tubing for tourniquet
- Emergency Heat Blanket (used if an animal’s temperature is decreasing due to shock or exposure. Always take the pet’s temperature first before using)
- Thermometer & Vaseline
Best Bully Sticks News!
Become a Facebook Fan, “Like” our page & Help us reach 5,000 fans.
Give the gift of a good chew. Delicious & all natural, the way nature intended!
Take The Guessing Out Of Gift Giving With A Best Bully Stick Gift Certificate!
But what do you do for the pampered pup or feline that has everything? Hmmm..For the pet that has everything give a Best Bully’s Gift Certificate and take the guessing out of gift giving! This is a great way for you to give that furry special someone in your life or loving pet owner a special gift by allowing them to select the exact products their furry companion are looking for.
A picture is worth a thousand words, or shall we say free bully sticks!
Our photo gallery is growing constantly, please submit a photo of your dog enjoying any of our products to enter our twice monthly contest! Each month we will have a drawing on those customers who submitted pictures to the gallery and a winner will be chosen and posted on the site. The winner will win more bully sticks!